In early December we had the pleasure of staying at the Dan’l Webster Inn & Spa, in Sandwich, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod. As soon as we arrived we felt like we stepped right onto the set of a Hallmark Christmas movie. The Dan’l Webster is a family-friendly hotel, and it truly offers something for everyone. When you check in you will be greeted by the most welcoming front desk staff — we loved the nutcracker that plays drums — we even took a video for our little one (he asks to watch every day, and he is already asking to go back!)
Here’s a quick guide to a weekend getaway at the Dan’l Webster Inn & Spa during the holiday season:
- We stayed in the detached Fessenden Wing — we had two queen beds, a table with a Keurig, wingback chairs, a flatscreen TV, and a nice bathroom with two sinks (which was a nice touch!) It was the perfect spot to get some writing or reading done, to work on a puzzle with your family, to have a cup of coffee or tea, and to enjoy some downtime. The room was clean, comfortable, and cozy. You can’t go wrong with any of the rooms at this hotel — some rooms even have a fireplace and a whirlpool tub!
- Grab lunch or dinner in the Tavern — we had lunch when we first checked in — we ordered the kids Mac & Cheese, Chicken Fingers with Sweet Potato Fries, and the Dynamite Fish Sandwich (with a beer) It was such a cozy spot for lunch — especially with the fireplace!
- Enjoy dinner in the Conservatory overlooking the Koi pond — during the holiday season you will also see reindeer! We ordered the Surf & Turf special (Filet Mignon and Stuffed Shrimp), the Filet Mignon (with asparagus and mashed potatoes), and the kids Chicken Fingers with French fries. For dessert we had the Chocolate Cake and Vanilla Ice Cream. We also enjoyed a glass of Pinot Noir from their award winning wine list, and a martini — everything was delicious!
- Grab breakfast at the hotel’s restaurant — you can’t go wrong with any of the choices, but we tried The Sampler which has eggs, bacon, sausage, and a choice of French toast, toast or pancake — we chose the French toast (but also ordered a separate oatmeal quinoa pancake to share!), and the Sausage & Eggs breakfast. (Next time we want to try the Bananas Foster French Toast, and Vera’s Cheddar & Chive Biscuits). They have a great kids menu with all the staples — our little one had the waffle. All of the meals come with a small cup of fruit! We loved having our coffee while listening to holiday classics and looking at the beautiful Christmas tree — it was such a nice way to start our morning!
- Make a stop (or multiple stops) in the hotel’s gift shop for local art, gifts, Cape Cod sweatshirts, chocolate covered cranberries & chocolate cranberry candy bars (yum!), books and stuffed animals. We stopped in three times during our stay — we bought a few of the children’s books before checking out our room, and we read them before bed. Reading Good Night Cape Cod was the perfect way to end our night after a wonderful day in Sandwich.
- Get a drink from the Tavern and have a seat by the fireplace (right next to the Christmas tree). Loved seeing hotel guests enjoying cider and coffee, while having quiet conversation or reading a book by the fire.
- If you visit during the holiday season I recommend walking around the hotel and checking out all of the beautiful decorations – from the wreaths, Christmas scenes, beautifully-decorated Christmas trees, and nutcrackers (the kids love these!) – it’s a great way to spend some time on a chilly day. (There’s also plenty of areas to take family photos!)
- Make an appointment at their full service spa — Beach Plum Spa — open seven days a week all year long! Treat yourself to one of their day spa packages — I plan on making an appointment during our next visit!
Highlights (for any season): kid-friendly hotel, onsite restaurants, onsite full-service spa, rooms with fireplaces and whirlpool tubs, outdoor pool and gardens, access to Sportsite (a local fitness center), award winning restaurant and wine list, an onsite gift shop, holiday events (check their calendar or call the front desk!), and warm & welcoming staff!
I highly recommend staying at The Dan’l Webster Inn & Spa when visiting Cape Cod. It’s an hour from Boston, 4 hours from New York City, 90 minutes from Rhode Island, and just under two hours from Mystic, Connecticut — and it’s worth the drive from any area. We loved our stay during the holiday season, but we plan on visiting during the summer, as well! This hotel is great for family getaways and larger family reunions, a romantic weekend, or for a group of friends. My family loves traditions — and I think we started one this year — we plan on visiting the Dan’l Webster Inn & Spa year after year (and we will be telling all of our friends and family to do the same!)